News:

papermodelforum.com is for all things paper model related.
Discussions are not limited to, or restricted by, our host Dave's Card Creations.
Feel free to share and discuss any model or designer here!

Main Menu

Hello from the North West coast of England

Started by eureka, November 20, 2017, 03:30:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eureka

Hello my name is Paul & I am from the North West coast of England.

My interests are models (ranging from radio control trucks and trailers to sci fi models), electronics, amateur radio (I have been a radio ham for nearly 40 years) and cars (hoping to get myself another classic car sometime in the near future after recently getting rid of my last kit car).

Other than building the radio control cars and trucks the last model kits I built were when I was a young lad but my interest has been renewed with the large amount of superb sci fi model kits. (space 1999, star trek, star wars)
The exact model was the announcment of the 22 inch eagle kits (from space 1999) or which I have a couple to build when I get the confidence.

I have been making paper models of all sorts for a while.
Built a couple of the KoolWheelz (the Scooby Doo mystery machine is sat on one my youngests shelves) for the kids then my youngest asked for a Baymax (from big hero 6). At the time I couldnt find one in the shops so downloaded a paper baymax and built it.

I have also been making a eagle from space 1999 out of paper. I am a member of the http://www.eagletransporter.com forum where I found the plans for the paper eagle.

I tried building the eagle at the standard size but my fingers wouldnt let me roll at the small paper tubes so I decided to resize the plans to double to make things a bit more managable.
So far so good but its slow going as the work on it is very occasional. The downside to the resize is there are lots of paper tubes to be rolled but when done the model should be just over 18inches long.

Many thanks to Dave who posted a link to a couple of the models and a link to the forum on the eagle transporter forum so I thought I would sign up and say hello.

Vermin King

Welcome to the forum.  There are some easier Eagle models out there and some that give a nod to the Eagle, without all the tubes.  If you'd like to be pointed to some of those, just give a shout.

One of my favorite 'based-on' Eagles is the one from Tommygun.  Much easier to build and looks good on the shelf
There are no strangers in this world ...
Only people I haven't embarrassed ... yet

Dave Winfield

I think I might have to do a KoolWheelz scale Eagle?!

Anyway, glad you made it here.

DAVE WINFIELD - MY STUFF: WWW.DAVESDESIGNS.CA - MY SHOP: WWW.PAPERMODELSHOP.COM

eureka

Quote from: Vermin King on November 20, 2017, 06:07:52 PM
Welcome to the forum.  There are some easier Eagle models out there and some that give a nod to the Eagle, without all the tubes.  If you'd like to be pointed to some of those, just give a shout.

One of my favorite 'based-on' Eagles is the one from Tommygun.  Much easier to build and looks good on the shelf

Thanks for the welcomes.
I know the eagle I am resizing isn't the easiest by far but it was the one the caught my eye. In fairness the first few I saw photos of it took a while to realise they were paper models.

I knew it was going to take me some time to say the least to get it finished but its not the first long term building project and I doubt if it will be my last.
(a half sized paper stoormtrooper helmet took far longer than I will admit, sadly my youngest didnt take so long to sit on it and destroy it)

I am interested in anything eagle & eagle based especially if they are nice lookers on the shelf.

Quote from: Dave Winfield on November 20, 2017, 11:12:39 PM
I think I might have to do a KoolWheelz scale Eagle?!

Anyway, glad you made it here.

A koolwheelz scale eagle now that I would like to see.

Vermin King

It sounds like you are looking for one that is more like the 'real' Eagle, though, but if you want this one, you can find it at http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/vbdownloads.php?do=download&downloadid=638

Domatine's looks closer to the mark, but again, it is fiddly, http://teodom.wixsite.com/domatine
There are no strangers in this world ...
Only people I haven't embarrassed ... yet

eureka

Many thanks for the links.
The moon hopper looks like the Captain Scarlet moon hopper according to my eldest so that's now on the build list (my eldest is a massive captain scarlet fan)
I will give the one by Domatime a go too as it looks to be quite a easy build compared to the one I am on with.

Myself and my eldest (she is 14) are fans of most of Gerry Andersons work & have quite a large collection of collectables/models related to the series.

thanks again.

Dave Winfield

I am also a big Capt Scarlet fan.
I bought all the original Dinky toys in the 60s and fell in love with the more realistic puppets.

I grew up on Supercar and Fireball Xl5 first.
Then went nuts for Thunderbirds.
Kind of skipped over Joe 90 because I moved to Canada.
But managed to see some of Capt. Scarlet when it aired here.

I love anything Anderson, up to Space 1999 that is.
I know its basically the sequel to UFO, but it just wasn't the same.
I grew up on Supermarionation, but I really enjoyed UFO.
UFO was the ultimate evolution of the puppet shows, so I really liked it.

But I didn't like Space 1999.
Mainly the two lead actors Martin Landau and Barbara Bain...couldn't stand them.
And I can't handle rubber Alien suits and 70s low budget special effects.
It felt like Captain Scarlet come to life.

When the 70s came, I fell into Rock Music and Girls.

I got back into Anderson stuff when Video hit the market in the late 70s.
I bought a ton of the original shows from my childhood on Beta. (Still got them)
And I started collecting Anderson toys...Dinkys, Japanese Kits, anything I could mail order out of England.
But then I sold my collection in the late 90s when I got remarried and we needed house money.

Now, I am reliving my childhood interests through paper models.

DAVE WINFIELD - MY STUFF: WWW.DAVESDESIGNS.CA - MY SHOP: WWW.PAPERMODELSHOP.COM