News:

papermodelforum.com is for all things paper model related.
Discussions are not limited to, or restricted by, our host Dave's Card Creations.
Feel free to share and discuss any model or designer here!

Main Menu

ANOTHER RICHMOND GUY! WOW!

Started by Theaterboy66, December 04, 2018, 08:31:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Theaterboy66

Well Hello My name is John
in Feb of 18 I had a Heart Attack I was told then I have Congestive Heart Failure and I've ssince gotten a Pacemaker/Defibulator put in So I was forced into early retirement (And we were already broke lol) So speaking of broke Been married to the same beautiful Cuban woman for 25 years now! (My own Gloria Estefan lol) we have 3 great kids. Okay my hobby was always building Model Kits of Monsters and film stars Styrene, Vinyl and Resin were my Materials of choice. As a kid in the 70's I built all the Aurora Monsters with the Glow parts and in the early 90's a company called Polar Lights reproduced ALL those old classics PLUS some new stuff! Well I still have my Resin Bettie Page kit built up and my Bride Of Frankenstein and an AMT Star Trek Enterprise So as far as any new stuff I still have THOUSANDS
pay even after Medicade lol So Now on my down time I can't build Kits the last one I did was a Screamin Darth Vader BIG Kit my Brother in law had since 96 I even went as far as to ask some of my Model building friends on fb if they had any old kits lying around that I could build then give back lol I got a couple of interested folks but after Christmas so meanwhile I somehow see online a Lost In Space Robot Kit BUT MADE OUT OF PAPER!?! WOW! then I see The Norman Bates Psycho House MADE OUT OF PAPER! (Which is ironic cause Polar Lights made a Plastic Kit of the Psych House 10 years ago) So I Printed up the House and the Monster from the old 50's B movie It Conquered The World. I've Never undertaken a paper kit before but this might be just the answer to our budget problems! AND IF I screw it up too bad I can just print more! lol Meanwhile I've found so many cool things made as Paper Crafting it's mind blowing. well anyhoo that's my story so thanks for accepting me and as soon as I can I'll post some pics of my other models most of them I had to sell but I saw A SIX FOOT TALL PAPER HULK! WTF? Amazing more later

Vermin King

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear about the health issues, but I'm glad you've discovered this hobby.  There are so many things you can do.  And because you work with digital artwork, you can make changes and design your own things as well.

I wouldn't start off building a 6-foot paper hulk, though
There are no strangers in this world ...
Only people I haven't embarrassed ... yet

Dave Winfield

Wow, some great model memories!
I too had a few great Monster kits in the late 60s, early 70s.
Had a few of the original Aurora Monster Goodies!
And do you remember Big(Lil) Frankie? I had the original...he sat at my headboard for years!

Screamin' Vinyl...I did a Ghost Rider a few years back...I think that was my second Screamin Vinyl kit.

Not sure I am aware of the six foot Hulk ...are we talking about a paper kit?

I have seriously thought about creating a new B9 Robot kit.
The kit from Lower Hudson valley was one of my first builds...but its lacking in many areas.
My problem is, I would need to tackle a Robby first (if I am going to do a robot model), and thats just too complicated in shape!
DAVE WINFIELD - MY STUFF: WWW.DAVESDESIGNS.CA - MY SHOP: WWW.PAPERMODELSHOP.COM

Theaterboy66

YUP Hulk was paper! And Dave you are right some hard shapes to do in Paper I mean How the hell did a guy do a model of Capt America IN PAPER!? I need to start small lol I'm looking for a Paper Lost In Space Chariot that's what led me here looks like it might be pretty easy

Dave Winfield

The figures you speak of are mostly Pepakura creations, made from stolen video game files.
The figures are CGI polygon* frameworks with CGI applied "skins".
They tend to be very *angular and faceted.

I have always been very vocal about my dislike of this type of paper model "designing".

First off, these "designers" are stealing copyrighted materials and stealing the work of CGI artists
and then using programs that convert and do all the work to create a 2D unfolded paper model.
Some guys even use software to add glue tabs!
And then they call themselves "designers"? ...lol I think not.

Having said that, there are a few designers out there who design figures using CAD programs
in the same way CGI designers create video games.
But they still tend to use "ripped" skins for surface texturing.
I don't want to lump everyone who calls themself a "designer" into the same group.

Another issue with these figure models, is they rarely have proper build instructions.
Or any build instructions for that matter!
And they can be quite complicated, since they are just dismantled/flattened game structures.

Okay...enough soapboxing.

Stick with my Chariot model....I guaranty its original and designed from scratch!
It might not be too complicated, but its not stolen from anyone else's artwork!

Vermin King

That's true for 99% of those figures, but there are some that do game design and then make their figures available as papercraft.  But they are vastly outnumbered.

For beginners, I often recommend cutting your teeth on buildings which are fairly rectilinear (boxes) and the little Canon one-page animals which are organic (curved surfaces), just to learn how paper behaves.

With model experience in other media, you shouldn't have too much trouble, though

Theaterboy66

So Dave Sir how do I find your Chariot model? if you don't mind me building one

Dave Winfield

my site...cutandfold.info...go to Dave's Card Creations...look for the Koolwheelz section...look for SpaceCarz section

also, try the Munster House...Extraz section

Theaterboy66

Found it and other Kewl stuff thank you sir!

Vermin King

Is the chariot the first one you will be doing?