News:

papermodelforum.com is for all things paper model related.
Discussions are not limited to, or restricted by, our host Dave's Card Creations.
Feel free to share and discuss any model or designer here!

Main Menu

Editing posts

Started by cotlet, April 11, 2012, 02:18:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cotlet

Dave,

Is there a way to edit post after it got published? I check the help file and it seems that this functionality is missing ...
Cheers,
Tomek

cpm.ontario

This is a test...this is only a test. If this had been a real emergency, this would not be a test.

Dave Winfield

at the moment, only Admins can edit or delete posts.

I will have to look into the available settings in this regard.
Some forums don't have all the bells and whistles...

UPDATE...
I have checked the Admin settings and it seems there is the option of allowing
regular members to modify their own posts.

I have turned this option on.

However, there is no time limit...you will be able to modify your posts forever.
This may sound like a good thing...until I get someone who keeps changing their post to suit
an argument or to mislead in some manner....makes it very hard to quote a post if the original
author can change it at any time.

As long as I don't see anyone abusing the privilege, I would like to leave this option available to all.
Lets see how it goes.
DAVE WINFIELD - MY STUFF: WWW.DAVESDESIGNS.CA - MY SHOP: WWW.PAPERMODELSHOP.COM

cpm.ontario

This is another test...this is only a test. If this had been a real emergency, this would not be a test.

...hey look, I just modified my own post!
whoopee!

cotlet

Yay! :) Thanks Dave!!!  :)

Quote from: Dave Winfield on April 11, 2012, 05:13:20 PM
However, there is no time limit...you will be able to modify your posts forever.
This may sound like a good thing...until I get someone who keeps changing their post to suit
and argument or to mislead in some manner....makes it very hard to quote a post if the original
author can change it at any time.

As long as I don't see anyone abusing the privilege, I would like to leave this option available to all.
Lets see how it goes.
I've seen on few occasions posters tinkering with their posts for some malicious purposes, but such behavior was usually frown upon by a community. You right about that, Dave. But there are so many more benefits that out weight in my opinion such flaws. I've even seen some posters modified their original messages in self-moderation, after heated but happily resolved disputes. It's an extra freedom which should be appreciated and respected.
There is also one more factor, quite significant, I think. For me it's a very clear signal that the members are the owner of their content, as they have freedom to modify it at any time. For that reason I never liked forums which restricted that privilege. C&F   could stand out among others ;)
Cheers,
Tomek

Dave Winfield

well, I still got the power to delete your words and ban you all! mwahahahahaaaaaaaa

so go ahead...make my day...modify yer posts...punks!
DAVE WINFIELD - MY STUFF: WWW.DAVESDESIGNS.CA - MY SHOP: WWW.PAPERMODELSHOP.COM

cotlet

:o

I.... I.... promise to be good, master ....
Cheers,
Tomek

Loui

so now i can delete a picture in my post several days ago....

*modify*
------------
on second thouht, i wont deleted the picture(my 2nd pict on Sidecar F2 race), because it will disturbed the conversation flow
-------------