News:

papermodelforum.com is for all things paper model related.
Discussions are not limited to, or restricted by, our host Dave's Card Creations.
Feel free to share and discuss any model or designer here!

Main Menu

New Kid (I Was One Once)

Started by wagnmkr, September 12, 2012, 01:17:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wagnmkr

Stands in front of group ... sweating slightly ... glances nervously around ... sees MANY super craftsman ...

Errr ... My name is Tom, I live in Lindsay, Ontario, and I want to build some paper models!

There, I admitted it! I have been making a mess somewhere in the house from building stuff since I was about seven years old. ( Just over two months ago)

Due to advancing age, declining health, and all the other problems that effect one's Golden years, I need a new hobby. I was lead to a link of a paper model (Ford Trimotor redesign) last week and I haven't stopped since. I think I have over a hundred kits downloaded, links to another hundred on a to-do list, and  ... well, it seems there is no end!

I have started to cut out a model of the Tower Bridge and I hope to start assembling that soon.

Things are going slow as I am just recovering from eye surgery and my vision is not good ... I can only work on small things for a few minutes at a time before I get a headache.

I am also working on a 1/8 scale horse drawn wagon (John Deer grain wagon in wood and brass) but it also is on hold until the vision returns to a proper level.

So, that's me ...

Cheers,

Tom

I was cut out to be rich, But I was glued up all wrong!

Vermin King

Welcome to our jolly band.  I wish I could find my old wagon models from when I was a kid.

This hobby is very addicting.  If that Trimotor is your first card model, I'm impressed.  I haven't taken that on, yet.  I generally stick to models with less than 9 pages, less than 150 parts, AND with good instructions.  I often find that it's the simpler models (which I rarely build 'as downloaded') are the ones that get the best reaction.

Good luck with the eye surgery.  This is a hobby that seems to require a magnifying glass more and more for me these days. 

As far as the downloading bug, I'm also guilty.  After filling three 8Gb USB drives, I finally got a 2 Tbyte external harddrive.  I keep finding models that I would like to have that are no longer available, so I tend to snag things as I see them.

Which Tower Bridge are you doing?  The one from Canon?
There are no strangers in this world ...
Only people I haven't embarrassed ... yet

wagnmkr

Hi VK ... Yup, the bridge is from Canon. I thought it looked like a good starter for me.

The Trimotor is printed, but it is put away for a bit, as it is way over my head at the moment.

It seems that every thread I read leads to another link, which leads to another thread, which leads to another download ....

All I can say is that the caliber of work being done is absolutely superb!! If I can do something anywhere up to 50% as good, I will be pleased.

Cheers,

Tom

Vermin King

Have you done any of Dave's KoolWheelz?  Not the first models I did, but they look great and help build technique.

wagnmkr

I just finished the scale cube (first ever paper whatever), and I might do a couple of the cars for practice ... thanks for the reminder. I saw them, but didn't think about it.

Other than that, I am still cutting out the tower bridge bits.

Cheers

cotlet

Welcome Tom

VK came up with nice suggestions. Just keep it simple in the beginning, no reason to get stressed. Read us much as possible on the subject of paper modeling and slowly set new goals by trying a new technique or building a little bit more complex kit. Enjoy!

Cheers,
Tomek

wagnmkr

Thanks Tomek,

I have tried one of the cars, but I wasn't happy with it so I am going to do another one. In the meantime, I cut a few bits of Tower bridge out each day.

Cheers,

Tom

Vermin King

When I build something that is a bit complex, I go to the instructions and figure out how far I want to go in that sitting and only cut out what is required for the steps I plan to do.  I have demon-spawn, I mean a cat, running around, so if I get too far ahead of myself, pieces come up missing or get damaged.

Another excellent to-get-you-going model is Canon's chipmunk

wagnmkr

Good idea of only cutting out what you are going to use. I am sure some of these wee parts are going to get lost. I might make a start at the tower today. I had an eye checkup yesterday and the doc says my recovery is falling behind so I am supposed to rest my eyes more than I am.

I will have a look at that chipmunk.

Cheers

Vermin King

Protect those eyes.  models can wait

Dave Winfield

Hi Tom
Not sure why I missed this and didn't reply, but here is my "welcome" finally!!

Lindsay Ontario?  not too far from me in Cambridge.
If you are anywhere near London on the 29th of Sept. drop by the Scale Model Show
and say hello.
DAVE WINFIELD - MY STUFF: WWW.DAVESDESIGNS.CA - MY SHOP: WWW.PAPERMODELSHOP.COM