News:

Register to access all areas...it's FREE!
Please update your bookmarks to www.papermodelforum.com
Let us know if something isn't working properly for you.

Main Menu

My Uncle's Paper Models

Started by RayK, October 01, 2012, 11:01:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RayK

Hello, my name is Ray. I have been given the task of sorting through my Uncle's collections and hobbies by my aunt. He passed away early this year at the age of 86, and was an avid model maker and model collector. Anyway, what I have are his Paper models, all un-assembled and still intact. So far they all look like ww2 planes and others like zeppelins, and few modern models ('60's).  Most seem to be Gomis and Schreiber-bogen models....but I still have another box to go through. Funny enough I NEVER saw him build one of these, he just seemed to buy the kit and put it away. Mostly he built plastic ship models..Titanic, QM, QE and such.

He got his start in model making in the army when ww2 training disbanded, and carried on as an architectural model maker his whole career. A highlight was his building of a large scale model of Mt Everest for the BBC after Edmund Hillary's climb. Here's a vintage clip from the British Pathe site showing him putting finishing touches to it. (The 'young' fellow in the shop coat)

A search brought me to this site. Are there any recommended sources of information I can use to determine their value and/or possible disposition? I may build one of the easier ones just to see what all the fuss is about...I enough hobbies already and I'm hesitate to get pulled into a whole new world.

Regards Ray.

Dave Winfield

HI RAY!  so sorry to hear another paper modeler has passed.

Reselling models on eBay is common, but does not always guaranty success.

You are welcome to list the models for sale here
(and at papermodelers.com)
but to be honest, many folks, like myself, are looking for good deals
and not always willing to pay top dollar.
Getting the full value of these kits is not easy.

You will definitely need to post a list of the models (manufacturer, subject and scale size)

Selling complete lots is a good way to get rid of them quicker, but it will have to be at a very good price.
The present economy has hurt the resale market.

If you have any A-10 Thunderbolt kits, please let me know.
DAVE WINFIELD - MY STUFF: WWW.DAVESDESIGNS.CA - MY SHOP: WWW.PAPERMODELSHOP.COM

RayK

Thanks Dave.  I wouldn't assume I could get full value....I'm a stamp collector so I know that story. ;D  Anyway, I'll continue to go through it all, and if I see an a10 Thunder Bolt I'll let you know.

Ray.

RayK

Dave...no A10 Thunder Bolts....but here's what I've found.  Oct 23 - Added a second List.

Vermin King

If you haven't also posted this at papermodelers.com, you should.  I believe that there would be several members there who would have an interest in these.
There are no strangers in this world ...
Only people I haven't embarrassed ... yet

Dave Winfield

some interesting models in that bunch!

some I know, some i don't.  some I am curious about

I would estimate the values range from $5 to $50
But obviously you have to find the right buyers.
Selling a "lot" is the easiest way for both parties, but you will
get much lesser value.
If the models are current (which these are not) you can search for sales prices.
Vintage stuff, can be valued using eBay if the models are listed.

I have an interest in about 6 of the models...not enough to really make you a serious offer.
Scales are small for my liking, and I would probably ask to see some photos.
(In fact, you may get that request from any interested buyer)

I can make you an offer for the lot, but I don't think you are going to like it.

The worst part is the shipping.
Nowadays, mailing costs have gotten so high that it is hard for either
side to be happy in the end.  You can offer a break on shipping which
comes out of your profits or you are forced to sell the models real cheap.

What is your location?
Maybe we can find someone in your area that wants the lot?

If you are not in a rush, just let them sit and see what offers you get.

RayK

Dave/Vermin, thanks for your feedback, yes perhaps I will post them at papermodelers.com as suggested.

Dave, I'm in Newmarket.

I've expanded the list a bit after going through all the boxes. See Prev Post.  Pretty much everything is in original packaging.

I might try my luck on ebay, but 1st I'll take an average example over and see what it costs to post 1 or several. I normally just
buy and sell postage stamps, which size wise are not an issue.

Cheers, Ray.

Dave Winfield

Just wanted to update this thread, not sure if Ray will be back .
(and thats perfectly okay since he is not actually a paper modeller)

I glad to say we (and our friends over at papermodelers.com)
helped Ray sell off his Uncle's model collection
(which was passed down to him after his Uncle passed away).

We are all sorry to see another fellow modeler go, but glad that we could all help in some small way.

Ray sent me a kit as a reward for my advice.
It wasn't necessary (as I told him) ...but much appreciated none the less.
Thank you Ray.

Tapcho

Good work from all who participated. Models need a modeller to come alive so recycling is good.

Tappi